Saturday 10 August 2013

Annabelle's introduction to solid food

Annabelle trying sweet potato. Clearly not a fan!


Annabelle is 6 months old on Monday. Time flies when you're having fun! I really can't believe that this little milestone has snuck up so fast.


I prefer to make Annabelle's food rather than buy pre-made baby food. This way I know exactly what she is eating! You also save a lot of money doing it yourself. So far, she has tried apple, pear, pumpkin, sweet potato, banana, avocado and watermelon. At first, her clear favourite was pumpkin. Now its banana.

I find the easiest way for me to provide food for her is to cook up a batch and freeze individual portions in ice cube trays. Once frozen, I then pop the ice cubes into freezer bags, label them and defrost as needed. I like to use the food within four weeks of freezing. My preferred cooking method is the slow cooker but I also sometimes use the microwave. I cook up each fruit/vegetable in a little water, then mash or puree it. I usually add at least some of the water that I have used to cook the food, as this contains vitamins and minerals that have seeped out into the water in the cooking process. However, I don't do this with carrots as I read somewhere that nitrates may seep out into the cooking water. You don't need to cook Banana and avocado first, all you need to do is mash them up, and possibly add a little water/breast milk/formula if you want it runnier.

Sweet potato
I was positive Annabelle would quickly love sweet potato because she enjoys pumpkin. I was wrong - the first time she tried sweet potato, she wasn't a fan! She does eat it though. Some days it seems Annabelle can't get enough food. Other times, she doesn't seem fussed either way. It gets messy at times, and I'm sure it will get even messier when she starts wanting to feed herself. It is a lot of fun though!










No comments:

Post a Comment