Monday 5 August 2013

Chocolate ganache

I use chocolate ganache a lot in my baking. I use it to fill cupcakes and cookies, put in between layers of a cake, to cover a cake before applying fondant, or as a base for my chocolate frosting. I normally double the amount and freeze the left overs for my next baking project.


Chocolate ganache 
100g dark chocolate, chopped
100g milk chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup thickened cream

Put cream in a microwave safe jug and put it in the microwave on medium for one minute. Stir, then return to microwave for another 30 seconds. You want it to be warm so that the chocolate melts when you add it, but you don't want it to boil/burn.

Remove from the microwave and add chocolate, stirring regularly until chocolate is melted and incorporated. Put aside to cool.


Notes
As mentioned above, you can freeze ganache. This actually makes it easier if you want to stuff cookies with it or put into cupcakes prior to baking (a delicious surprise!).

I like to use a mix of milk and dark chocolate but you can use all of one or the other. 

I use blocks of eating chocolate. Just remember that the taste of the chocolate will shine through in the gananche - so make sure the chocolate you use tastes good! 

Make white chocolate ganache by using white chocolate rather than milk and dark chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment